Wednesday, March 12, 2008

THING #2 What is Library 2.0

We all seem to find the time to do the things we really want to do. We need to remember that learning new things is interesting and challenging and worthwhile in the long run. Life is a continuous learning process. Therefore, I will find the time to do 23 Things on a Stick.
I am participating in 23 Things on a Stick at the encouragement of our head librarian
who is a technojunkie. I hope to learn about lots of new technologies that could be useful in the library. I also hope to understand what the young people seem to learn by osmosis. If I need to know something on the computer, I ask my sons or another teenager and they usually can answer my question. They have grown up with computers and it is part of their daily lives. They aren't afraid to try new technologies in order to see what they can do with them. We all need to have that mindset.
I love the internet because so much knowledge is available quickly. We find in our library that reference books are hardly used anymore when it's easier just to google something. We do not get the reference questions that we used to get because the majority of people are aware of the knowledge available on the internet. One of the skills we can teach others is how to determine the reliability of the sources that are available. Wikipedia, the internet encyclopedia, is an example of this. My son created an entry on Wikipedia which is part fact and part humorous ribbing of a friend of his. Is everyone aware that Wikipedia may or may not be a reliable source?
I am a beginner in the use of Web 2.0 tools, but I hope to soon become more knowledgeable. I am looking forward to introducing pictures and videos to my blog
in order to see how that process works.

No comments: