Friday, April 11, 2008

THING #20: Libraries and Social Networks

I registered on Facebook. It was very easy to do. I found three people I knew on Facebook. I have sent them messages asking them to be my friends! Sounds pitiful, doesn't it. I found one high school classmate listed but didn't recognize her name so didn't ask her to be my friend. I did get tired of typing in the security words. I couldn't quite figure out what that was for. I joined the Librarians and Facebook group - instant acceptance! I posted a notice on their wall and found a notice there from a fellow participant of 23 things, so I asked her to be my friend too. I will check back and see if anyone wants to be my friend. I am not sure why Facebook is the fastest growing social network. I know it was easy to register and that might be part of it. I will ask my son who has a Facebook account why he thinks it is growing so fast. I like the idea that you have to ask someone to be your friend. It helps to preserve your privacy. I am not excited about putting lots of personal information out on the web.
I read some articles on MySpace concerning libraries. It was interesting to see the MySpace page for Hennepin County Library. That is something we could all do in our libraries in order to attract teenage library users. This would be a great way to tell them about what the library has to offer.

No comments: