Sunday, April 6, 2008

THING#14: LibraryThing

LibraryThings has been one of my favorite "things" so far. It was really
interesting to add books to My Library and put it on my blog. I added books from the series that I have been reading lately. I also went into some of the groups listed that were of interest to me. The books from My Library were not extremely
popular, compared to some well-known authors. There were a few reviews about the books I put in My Library.
LibraryThing could be used in many ways in our library. We could add our new books to our website. It's alway interesting to see the book covers rather than just a listing of new material. Since I am a Children's Librarian, I am interested in ways of using this site for children. Recently, I was asked by a student why we didn't have a summer reading program for her age (junior high). Perhaps we could do something with LibraryThing. We could create a library account and the students could add their favorite books. They could read each other's reviews. It would be an online book club that could be accessed from the library or from any other computer. They could earn rewards or prizes for putting their reviews online.
I use Amazon a lot in looking for books that are about to be published. Patrons are always asking for the latest book by a favorite author. LibraryThing would be another great site to recommend. It would also be a way for individuals to keep track of what they have already read.

No comments: