Sunday, April 13, 2008

THINGS #21: Beyond MySpace: Other Social Networks

This was another fun "Thing" to do. The Web Junction article on Building a Social Networking Environment at the Library was very informative as to how to go about doing this for your library. Every new idea has to start out with baby steps. You will never know until you try it.
I had already joined the 23 Things on a Stick Ning by invitation. I left some comments for the Pioneerland Library group, which doesn't have very many members yet.
I also added some Ning badges and widgets to my blog.
I explored some of the other social networking sites, including craftster and good reads. Dogster looked like a fun site to recommend to my dog-loving friends and family.
I have been receiving some responses to my invitations in Face Book. My college-age son even said I could be his friend! He made sure that it stated I was his mother. Not to be confused with a peer. It was fun to see how it all works, but I can't say that I will keep it up. I think it will be more interesting to check out the special interest sites such as the ones we discovered in this "Thing".

No comments: