Wednesday, May 6, 2009

THING 34: Is This Our Competition - Online Answer Sites

The articles on the future of reference were very informative. Some words that kept coming up were: interact with users, service philosophy, personal connections, team activity, personal service, and marketing. In other words, reference service has to adapt to a changing world. Personal service today is totally different from yesterday and will be changing again tomorrow. Librarians must try to meet the needs of the people, whatever they will be. The only thing that is certain is that things will change! This is hard for those of us that like things the way they are!
I looked at all of the online answer sites. I think the appeal is anonymity. You never feel stupid or foolish for asking a question. There is also the time factor if you receive an answer quickly.
I found the following questions at the sites I looked at:
Who is the biggest loser?
A princess some soup and a spool of thread?
What does it mean when a mobile says "userbusy" when I try and phone someone?
Have you ever wondered who buys the 72oz. super big gulp from 7-11?
What is one photo that defines the year 1963?
I believe that any kind of question can be directed to a library. Some of these questions do not appear to be serious questions. (I have wondered who buys the super big gulp!) We, however, as librarians should not be judgmental as far as whose question deserves an answer. I do remember one child who asked for the book the Real Santa Claus. I know she was trying to figure out for herself whether or not Santa Claus was real. I think she found the book on our card catalog.
I think the Slam the Boards events are worthwhile for self-promotion and marketing.

No comments: