Wednesday, May 13, 2009

THING 40: Mashup the Web

I explored many of the Mashup sites listed. They were all interesting. The ones I explored included Crime Reports (no crimes lately in our area!), Lunchbox (nothing to eat in our area), BookTour (I couldn't find the authors I knew were coming to Minnesota soon), Lazy Library and Interestingness. I added a Flickr mashup to my blog to spell some words. That's always fun. I tried to add random photos from Flickr in Interestingness to Twitter which should show on my blog. I'm not sure if that worked or not.
In searching the web for more mashups I found five listed that were mashups between Flickr and Twitter. They were Flittr, InfiniteComic, SayTweet (this we looked at in Twitter), flick.to.twitt and flickr2twitter. I can see applications for all of them.
I tried several of the sites to create a "custom" mashup and embed it in my blog.
My computer banned Bubblr (don't know why). I tried adding a greeting card from Phreetings. Creating the card was simple but I could only added the httl to my blog.
I played with BigHugelabs for quite a while and made a mosaic of Carnegie library pictures which I was able to embed into my blog, but had to register for the service first. That's maybe what I was lacking with the greeting card.
There would be immeasurable uses for these mashups both at the library and at home.
Once again, they all take time to figure out but would get easier with use.

No comments: